COMMERCE CITY, Colo. (May 25, 2019) – Columbus Crew SC are in free fall. After winning four of their first six games, they have lost eight of nine. Their fullbacks aren’t healthy and more players seem to be joining the injury report with each game. First year head coach Caleb Porter is understandably upset with the form of his team. He’s also not shying away from it.
Caleb Porter not Making Excuses: “I Take the Blame First and Foremost.”
The Crew lost this weekend at Colorado Rapids, 3-2. They came back twice after going down a goal, but were put in a tough position.
Niko Hansen and Hector Jimenez started as fullbacks in a back four. Jimenez was subbed out in the second half, forcing Josh Williams to play at right back. The Rapids countered with Sam Nicholson and Jonathan Lewis going at their opponents playing out of position.
“It was another game where it wasn’t good enough. There were good things,” Porter told Last Word on Soccer after the match. “The guys gave an honest shift. We came from behind twice.”
The Crew did manage to find some offense in this game which had been missing in recent weeks. They managed to score two goals, one from a great individual effort from Pedro Santos. The other goal came on a deft touch from Gyasi Zardes in the second half.
“It’s important for us to put a complete performance on both sides of the ball,” said Porter.
Still the Crew could easily argue they’ve been decimated by injuries. The club was busy at the end of the primary transfer window, but some of the pieces will take time to gel. It would be easy for players and coaches to make these excuses. But that’s not what Porter is doing:
“I’m very disappointed for the supporters. We haven’t been delivering results to them. I’m massively disappointed in that. I take responsibility. I take the blame first and foremost,” adding “I feel for them and I apologize to them.”
The Crew are close to the break for the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Some recovery time and chances to work on issues on both sides of the ball is just what this team needs.