Saint Louis FC Win Home Opener Against Ottawa Fury FC 3-2 On Late Alvarez Goal

New York Red Bulls II Blasts Richmond Kickers

FENTON, MO (April 1, 2017) – It was a tale of two halves. Saint Louis FC come out and scored two quick goals in their home opener. Ottawa Fury FC were able to tie the game up in the second half though. The home side was able to save the game at the death though, from a Max Alvarez goal. Preki won his Saint Louis home opener in dramatic fashion, 3-2 over Ottawa Fury FC.

Saint Louis FC Win Home Opener Against Ottawa Fury FC

Saint Louis FC came out in a 4-4-2. Devala Gorrick started in goal. Ivan Mirkovic anchored the midfield. Milan Petosevic and Christian Volesky started up top.

Ottawa came out in a 4-3-3. Callum Irving started in goal. Gerardo Bruna started in midfield. Steevan dos Santos and Sito Seoane started up top.

The match started with an absolute bang. Saint Louis FC came out buzzing and opened the scoring in the 5th minute. Petosevic got running in the midfield. He delivered a cutting through pass to Volesky. The No. 9 touched it around a defender, ran in on goal, and slotted it in the top left corner.

Saint Louis would double their advantage in the 9th minute. Dragan Stojkov created a turnover in the midfield and moved the ball up field. Mats Bjurman ran onto it and fired it just inside the far post to beat Irving.

Fury FC would get one back in the 11th minute. Forward Eddie Edward converted on a corner kick from Bruna.

The home side continued to press their opponents the rest of the half, creating several chances and shots. They outshot the Fury 10-6 in the first half and carried 71% possession.

The half ended 2-1 with Ottawa hitting the post in stoppage time.

Ottawa carried the play to start the second half. They had several build ups that led to shots, testing Gorrick early and often. The keeper was up to the task though and center back Austin Ledbetter was good in their when needed.

Ottawa finally broke the dam in the 83rd minute. After a chaotic sequence in the box, the ball fell to Onua Obasi. Obasi took a touch to control then fired a bouncing shot past the defense to tie the game.

Saint Louis FC found some energy to finish the game off though. In the 88th minute, Volesky won the ball in the midfield and made a long run into the box. He tapped it to Max Alvarez who fired it in off a defender.

The Fury pushed for another equalizer by came up short. The match ended with a stoppage time red card. Alvarez gathered a clearing ball and ran in on goal when Shane McEleney made contact and the attacker went down. The right back was given a red card for a DOGSO.

The match ended 3-2. It wasn’t perfect, but Preki’s side showed they have a new attacking mindset. They’ll have plenty to work on next week though. They seemed to run out of gas in the second half and had some disorganization on the back. Still, this looks like a team more equipped to compete in the USL.


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.