Bethlehem Steel FC Comes Back Against Saint Louis FC To Win 2-1

Reno 1868 FC

FENTON, MO (June 6, 2017) – On a very hot day in Fenton, MO, the visiting Bethlehem Steel FC got a bit comeback win. They defeated Saint Louis FC 2-1 off goals from Seku Conneh and Captain James Chambers.

Ahead of their massive Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match with the Chicago Fire, Head Coach Preki shook things up. Tyler David got a start up top as a forward. Tony Walls and Emir Alihodžić started in central midfield. Erick Cabalceta and Konrad Plewa started at center back together.

The match was a scorcher, with a kick off temperature of 91 F at field level. Multiple hydration breaks were given during the match as part of U.S. Soccer’s WBGT Index initiative.

Bethlehem Steel FC Comes Back Against Saint Louis FC To Win 2-1

Saint Louis FC started the match off with a bang. They scored just past the two minute mark off a set piece. After a blocked shot and several deflections, it looked like Tyler David cleaned up the play right in front of goal. The play was ultimately ruled an own goal by Ken Tribbet.

The two sides played to a very even half the rest of the way. Saint Louis won the possession battle in the first half, but Bethlehem Steel outshot them 4-3. Multiple plays were called back for offsides in the first half, including a goal by Christian Volesky. The half ended 1-0. Aaron Jones and Alihodžić were on yellow cards.

Bethlehem tied the match in the 56th minute. The goal came off a throw in. Similar to the first goal the match, the ball was redirected several times in front of goal. It ultimately fell to Seku Conneh who shot it past a sprawled out Devala Gorrick.

The visitors completed their comeback victory in the 74th minute. After a quick counter attack into the final third, Conneh slowed the play down. He laid the ball off to an onrunning James Chambers. The Captain took a shot on his first touch, blasting it past Gorrick.

The two sides traded chances the rest of the half, but Saint Louis FC could not muster a tying goal. The match ended 2-1.

This is a huge win for Bethlehem Steel, who are now unbeaten in three. They are now in the middle of the playoff seeding in the Eastern Conference. This is a tough result for Saint Louis. They had yet another game where they had a great start to the game, then squandered a lead. Perhaps resting some players gives them a chance to beat the Chicago Fire next week. Then it might be worth it. For now, this loss is a lost opportunity.